You may have heard the expression, “Forty is the new 20,” ad nauseum by now, and of course, it is true that middle-aged women are looking and feeling better than ever. However, as most over 40 women know this expression not a license to use Forever 21 and H&M as the sole source of your wardrobe. Sure, you can look young and lovely, but sophistication must not be sacrificed. If you are struggling to toe the line between cut out leotards and muumuus, this article may be helpful.
No-no’s For Women Over 40
- Don’t try to look too polished, or too perfectly matched. Show your creative side. A two piece suit will always be interpreted as ‘safer’ fashion choice. Pairing the blazer with a more out of the box choice to look will show off your inner confidence and highlight your maturity in a more positive way.
- Don’t buy cheap fabrics. They will not flatter your body well, and will not last. While you may still wear “young style,” you have graduated from cheap.
- Don’t wear a tight top with a tight bottom. It is always better to leave something to the imagination. Keep it classy with by choosing a loose top with a tight skirt or pants.
- Here are some clothes that might be better left hanging on the racks at Charlotte Russe: Super short shorts and minis, mom jeans, baggy sweats, and unfitted blazers
The Over 40 ‘Do’ List
- Do be aware of your personal style. It is important to dress in a way that showcases your body and personality.
- Wardrobe essentials: Here are some wardrobe staples for every over 40 sophisticates: A long coat, a white button-down dress shirt, a well fitting blazer, a good pair of dark denim jeans, and an elegant dress
- Mix designer pieces with non-designer pieces. This will upgrade your non-designer items while helping to dress down fancier pieces.
- Try not to look too overdone. Aim for an effortless look. If you think you look too done up before you leave the house, leave something off or choose a more casual replacement.
- Make sure to wear a good bra and no panty lines. Shapewear helps to skillfully hide some of the bulges.
- Wear fashionable shoes. Shoes can make or break an outfit. Mid-high heels are a great bet and there are plenty of current choices especially designed to provide comprehensive arch support to maximize comfort.
- Wear skirts that grace the knee. Go too far over the knees, and your calves will not be shown to their best advantage, providing for an older overall look. Also, try not wear anything too shapeless. Pencil skirts are a very stylish flattering choice.
Are you fabulously over 40? Let us know what your wearing and what you’re not.