If you’ve seen the bejeweled, pierced, diamond studded, stiletto, glittered, floral patterned, plaid, William and Kate-themed, striped, French, ombre, reverse French, reverse ombre, rhinestoned, tribal, and Lady Gaga gone gaga manicures out there, you may be suffering from manicure envy. Do you ever want to return to a simpler time? A time when fancy nails were no further than your closest pharmacy? Press-On Nails may not be the latest in high-end fashion, but why go high, when you can go low? Just tell your friends it’s the “White Trash Manicure.” Besides, think of how much fun you’ll have gluing them on your little sister! If you want to amp up your mani on the cheap, here’s all you need to know about how to get the instant urban glamour of the Press On Nail.
- Full cover glue- on acrylic nails. The one hundred nail pack will give you enough for several applications with back up. Square nails are slightly more versatile because they can be shaped into rounded or pointed edges, whereas you can’t file the rounded ones into squares.
- Nail glue
- Metal Nail File
- Nail clippers
- Nail polish color du jour
- Top coat
- Polish remover
- Cotton Swabs
- Experiment with the different sizes to see which fits each finger best, and line them up to correspond with your fingers. If you look at the back of the nail, you will see a tiny number which indicates the size of the nail. You may want to record the sizes in order so you will know which ones to use next time.
- Make sure your nails are clean and free of polish. Squeeze a tiny amount of glue on the center of you real nail and spread it using the tip of the bottle.
- Squeeze a bit of glue on the bottom of the fake nail, spreading it so that the glue covers approximately the same area as the size of your natural nail.
- Press the fake nail to your real nail and hold for about five seconds. Nail glue is super strong, so err on the side of caution, using less rather than more. It’s simpler to reglue nails than get it off your fingers.
- Glue until all your fingers are covered. Expect the nails to look rather unnatural at this point.
- Cut file nails to the desired shape. For an oval shape, use clippers to trim away corners. For square nails, use clippers to cut nails straight across to your desired length.
- Use the metallic file to file nails into smooth shapes, running a file over nails in one direction. Avoid using a back and forth motion.
- Paint nails in color of choice as you would with naturals nails. You will find polish dries much more quickly than it does on real nails and has a more opaque finish. Top with a Topcoat, and clean up any extra polish using a cotton swab dipped in nail polish remover. Give polish ample time to dry before using your hands.
What do you think of Press On nails? Are you willing to give them a go? Have you? Let us know how it went.