Owning a dog is one of life’s most rewarding experiences. These bundles of energy and fur provide companionship, loyalty and unconditional love for their owners. While taking care of a dog can be quite time-consuming, the rewards are totally worth any time invested. Plus, there are multiple health benefits to owning a dog that include boosted mood and decreased stress. Designer dogs are becoming increasingly popular because they offer the best of both worlds when it comes to dog breeds. Find out more about designer dogs below.
What are Designer Dogs?
A designer dog is quite simply a dog that has been cross-bred between two purebred dogs. Purebred dogs must meet certain standards and requirements and are desirable because for the most part, when it comes to getting a purebred dog, you know what you can expect in terms of things like temperament and training. Designer dogs are often thought of as a relatively new type of dog, but in reality, some types of designer dogs have been bred for years.
Popular Breeds of Designer Dogs
When it comes to designer dogs, these dogs are some of the most popular and coveted dogs.
- Cockapoo – A Cockapoo is a hybrid of a Cocker Spaniel and a Poodle. The original planned hybrid dog, Cockapoos have bred since the 1960s. These dogs are incredibly friendly, fun and are small enough to cuddle on your lap, but big enough to play with larger dogs. Originally, these dogs were bred to be hypoallergenic and healthy, but they have remained so popular because of their fun-loving and stable temperament.
- Labradoodle – The Labradoodle is a cross between the Labrador Retriever and Poodle. Labradoodles were bred to be hypoallergenic guide dogs, but they are so much more than that. These dogs are smart, social and very affectionate, making them a fast favorite among dog owners.
- Puggle – Like the Cockapoo, the Puggle is a trailblazer in the world of designer dogs and it is a blend of a Pug and a Beagle. These adorable dogs are loving and intelligent, but they can be a bit stubborn, especially when it comes to training. Puggles are active, energetic and love to be cuddled, which make them an increasingly popular designer dog.
- Maltipoo – The Maltipoo is a hybrid of a Maltese and a Toy or Miniature Poodle, making it one of the smaller designer dogs. Maltipoos are gentle, affectionate and active dogs, and are considered to be an excellent choice for first-time dog owners. Maltipoos are relatively easy to train, happy dogs, but they do have a tendency to bark more than some other breeds.
- Goldendoodle – Goldendoodles are the result of breeding Golden Retrievers with Poodles. These dogs are considered a perfect family dog because they are loving, gentle, social and get along with everyone. Goldendoodles are also smart and relatively easy to train, making them a great dog for first-time dog owners.
Designer dogs, like all dogs, are an excellent addition to your life. Dogs can help cure loneliness, alleviate depression and help you get more active in your daily life. No matter what type of dog you own, you will find out that not only do you take care of your dog, but that your dog also takes care of you.