Chianti, a region in Tuscany, is famous for producing some of the most splendid red wines in the world. The wines of this region are not known by their grape varietals, but by the region itself. Thus, Chianti wines are essentially wines that are produced in vineyards located in the Chianti region. The Chianti wine tradition dates back centuries. Wine has been cultivated in the Chianti region of Italy ever since the Etruscan civilization, which precedes the Great Roman Empire itself. Vine Vera came across recent evidence which suggests that the Etruscans didn’t just cultivate vines, but also conducted experiments on creating hybrids and grafting. The perfect weather and soil condition also helps the area to produce such splendid wines. This article from Vine Vera showcases some of the best cocktails that can be made using Chianti wine.
THE CHIANTI PUNCH
- Chianti wine – 2 parts
- Seltzer water – 2 parts
- Sparkling wine – 2 parts
- Orange Juice – 1 part
- Grenadine Syrup – 1 part
- For pitchers: Add ingredients in a pitcher full of ice. Stir properly. Decorate with orange slices.
- For individual preparation: Mix the ingredients in a shaker and pour them in a glass that has been filled with ice. Decorate with a slice of orange.
The Cioccolato Cocktail
The Cioccolato cocktail is a refreshing combination of Chianti, raspberry and chocolate that is ideal as a wine cocktail for dinner parties held in the autumn or winter seasons.
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Raspberries – 6
- Chianti wine – 2.5 oz.
- Whipped cream – for decoration
- Ice – 1 cup
- Sweet cocoa powder – 1.5 teaspoons
- Chocolate shavings – for decoration
- Mix 1 teaspoon sugar with the raspberries.
- Add the cocoa powder and Chianti.
- Pour the mixture into a shaker and shake.
- Strain into a martini glass.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings and whipped cream.
THE SPARKLING CHIANTI
The Sparkling Chianti cocktail with its flavors of vanilla and Gala apples is one of the most exciting Chianti cocktails that you can go for. The preparation time takes just 15 minutes and you need to refrigerate the cocktail for 24 hours before serving.
- Bartlett pear – 1
- Plums – 3 (cut into wedges)
- Chianti – 1 bottle (750ml)
- Apples – 3
- Vanilla bean – 1 (split)
- Sparking white wine – 1 bottle (750ml)
- 4” Rosemary sprigs – 2
- Cane syrup – ½ cup
- Cut the pear from the stem end through the bottom into ¼ inch slices.
- Cut the apples crosswise into ¼ inch slices.
- Mix the ingredients (except the wines) together in a glass container until the fruits become coated.
- Pour Chianti and mix properly. Cover the container and refrigerate for 8 hours to 24 hours.
- Pour the sparkling white wine right before serving.
- Serve the preparation over ice.
- Always ensure that the sparking white wine is chilled.
- Garnish using rosemary twigs if desired.
- For best results, prepare and chill for 24 hours before serving.