When it comes time for fast, healthy nutrition in a snap, look no further than a healthy, delicious smoothie. Smoothies are an incredible and creative way to get more nutrition into your day. You can toss just about anything you like into your smoothie to make it your own, but we wanted to share a couple super food smoothie ideas with you to give you some guidance if you’ve never tried one before.
Super foods are foods which naturally contain the most healthy, vital nutrients to protect us from various ailments, such as various forms of cancer, heart disease, malnutrition, joint problems and arthritis, inflammation, and more. They are found in fresh, natural ingredients such as leafy greens, various fruits and other vegetables.
Super food smoothies are packed with vitamin rich nutrients, vitamins, flavonoids, minerals, and even protein. They are a delicious way to start any day, and they also make a great snack. Instead of opting for the late night ice cream, why not give one of these healthy, awesome smoothies a try?
Contained within this incredible smoothie is packed with a serious nutrition punch. So much is to be said for the two main ingredients, but to narrow it down, here’s a breakdown of the main nutritional components:
- Pineapples contain Vitamin C, dietary fiber, Copper, Folate, B1 and B6, among other nutrients and vitamins. They prevent inflammation, act as a digestive aid, provide a healthy immune system, and prevent myriad diseases. Aside from that, they taste incredible!
- Chlorella is a plant based nutrient rich in chlorophyll. Chlorophyll works as a cleansing agent and rids the body of toxins while promoting better oxygen flow. It also helps repair and regenerate tissue within the body.
- 1 C Coconut water (no added sugar is best)
- ½ C fresh pineapple, chunked
- 1/3 of a small avocado, chopped into small pieces
- ¼ C Yogurt, plain or flavored – up to you (full fat yogurt is recommended, but you can use any variety you like)
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 TSP chlorella
- 1 TSP chia seeds
- 1 TSP Maca
- 1 TSP Bee Pollen (optional)
- 1 TSP lemon juice
- Pinch of good quality sea salt
- 1 TBSP honey, stevia, or cane juice to sweeten
Place all ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth. Typically, this takes anywhere from 45 seconds to one minute.
NOTE: You can add protein powder, coconut flakes, and or cocoa powder or dark chocolate pieces to give it that extra ‘something’ and make it your own. Be creative, and add what makes you happy!
Drink. Be healthy. Enjoy!
Blueberry Chocolate Heaven Smoothie
So much can be said for the nutritional value found in blueberries. They provide a great antioxidant boost, strengthen your immune system, provide needed vitamins and minerals, and help you to feel full. It goes without saying that they taste fantastic, as well. There are many reasons to enjoy blueberries, and this recipe adds all of the wonderful things blueberries are to the mixture of chocolate. Chocolate also incorporates an added antioxidant boost to the mix as. Now, you can have your cake (well, chocolate, in this case) and eat it too! Dreamy? We certainly think so!
- 1 C any type of milk you like (almond, rice, coconut, cow’s milk, lactose free, etc)
- ½ C Yogurt (any flavor you like, we chose plain; fat content doesn’t matter, however full fat works best)
- ½ Small Avocado, chopped into cubes or mashed
- ½ C Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 Brazil nuts, chopped into small pieces (food processors work fabulous for this)
- 1 TBSP organic cacao powder
- 1 TBSP Cacao nibs OR dark chocolate pieces
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 TSP Vanilla extract (you could substitute vanilla for another flavor, like rum, or almond)
- 1 serving of protein powder, any kind you like
- ½ TBSP Coconut oil (optional)
- ½ TBSP Flax seeds (optional)
Add all ingredients to your blender, and blend until smooth – about 45 – 60 seconds.
Drink to your health!