Vine Vera Explains How a Healthy Diet Can Lead to Great Skin

Young woman eating a healthy saladReports state that at least 1/3rd people suffering from skin blemishes or acne find a connection between the food they eat and the condition of their blemishes. Although there are no studies to prove the connection between certain food items and skin condition, dermatologists across the world believe that the diet definitely has a major effect on the skin. But, exactly how can a healthy diet lead to great skin?

Well, in most cases, skin blemishes occur because of problems with the turnover of your skin cells. This leads to things like retained cells, which cause your oil glands to block and ends up trapping the sebum under your skin. This sebum triggers skin conditions such as acne. There are a number of ways to improve your skin, one of which is to eat the right kind of food. Since the human body is constantly under construction, it requires the necessary nutrients and vitamins on a regular basis. However, despite its importance, a healthy diet accounts for just 25% when it comes to great skin. The other 75% depends on things like the environment, sun damage, stress, sleep patterns, skin care routines and hormonal changes.

Despite accounting for just 25% of the problem, regulating your diet can go a long way in preventing skin problems. The more you eat junk food and fatty food items, the less vitamins and nutrients your body has to play with. This leads to health and skin issues and causes infrequent breakdowns and skin issues. To keep the skin properly nourished and protected and to ensure that you look younger and healthier, you need to focus on offering your body with the following nutrients.

Beta-Carotene

Beta-carotene, an anti-oxidant that is extremely critical for the overall health of your skin, gets converted into Vitamin A and involves itself in the process of repairing and growing your body tissues. Beta-carotene can also go a long way in protecting the body from sun damage. Some of the best sources of beta-carotene include mangoes, carrots, apricots, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, red bell peppers and cantaloupes.

Vitamin C

Vitamin C helps your body to increase the protection of collagen which allows your skin to look healthy and beautiful. It also acts as an antioxidant and protects your body from free radical damage. According to studies, Vitamin C fortifies the food and gives the skin enhanced protection to fight oxidative damage. Therefore, offering the right amount of Vitamin C to your skin is extremely important. The best way of doing that is to eat things like oranges, broccoli, snow peas, bell peppers, mangoes, watermelons, strawberries and tomatoes.

Vitamin E

Vitamin E is responsible for protecting the cell membranes and guarding the skin from the damage caused by the harmful UV rays of the sun. According to studies, Vitamin E works best when combined with Vitamin C when it comes to offering the body with anti-aging protection. The best way to obtain Vitamin E is by eating food items such as wheat germs, olive oil, spinach, nuts, whole-grain cereals and Swiss chard.

Selenium

Selenium is an antioxidant that protects the skin from the damage caused by the UV rays of the sun and maintains the elasticity and fairness of the skin. Selenium can even help the skin to protect itself from some types of skin cancers. Some of the best sources of selenium include crabs, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat bread, eggs, mushrooms, oysters, tuna, turkey, eggs and wheat germs.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Omega-3 Fatty Acids help your skin to maintain its cell membranes and build barriers to allow the water and nutrients to come into the skin, but keep the toxins out. Omega-3 fatty acids also help in reducing inflammation, reducing the number of skin breakouts and protecting the skin from sun damage. According to studies conducted for skin cancer, people who had diets that were rich in omega-3 fatty acids lowered their risks of getting squamous cell skin cancer by 29% compared to those who did not have adequate quantities of omega-3 fatty acids in their body. Some of the main sources of omega-3 fatty acids include soybeans, wild salmon, mackerel (except king mackerel), herrings, sardines, walnuts and anchovies.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Lifestyle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s