Flawless skin has emerged as one of the most discussed subjects across generations. Irrespective of which era you belong to, flawless skin is something that has always ranked as one of the major topics of discussion. Despite the entire stigma surrounding perfect skin, it is actually quite easy to have beautiful looking skin. Things like pigmentation, freckles, uneven skin tones and dark spots are some of the most common problems that affect your skin. All you need to do is offer your skin with natural remedies to these problems and you should be able to boast of flawless skin over time. Yes, the process that is required to be followed everyday and the time taken might test your patience to its limits, but the results are well worth the effort.
Types of Skin Pigmentation
Exposing your body to the harmful UV rays of the sun means that your body begins to produce more melanin. A number of other environment related issues can also lead to an increase/ decrease of melanin production in your body. There are 2 main types of skin pigmentation that you deal with on a day to day basis –
- Hyperpigmentation – Hyperpigmentation, also known as Melasma, refers to the increased levels of melanin production makes brown spots appear on your skin.
- Hypopigmentation – Hypopigmentation, also known as Vitiligo, refers to the decreased levels of melanin that makes your skin lose its color in places. This leads to a person having patches of lighter skin.
Reasons Behind Skin Pigmentation
Skin pigmentation can usually be attributed to 5 major factors.
- Medication. Certain types of medicines are known to lead to skin pigmentation as a major side effect of their use.
- Injury. There are times when the wound causes a mild inflammation during its healing process. The inflamed area can become susceptible to pigmentation later on.
- Heat. Exposing your skin to heat is considered to be one of the most common reasons behind pigmentation. Apart from exposure to the sun’s rays, over exposure to thermal radiation can also lead to hyper-pigmentation.
- Emotional problems. If you’re under a lot of emotional stress, the production of melanin in your body can become affected.
- Diseases. There are a number of diseases such as cyanosis and jaundice that lead to discoloration of the skin.
How to Rid your Skin from Pigmentation?
There are a number of ways by which you can reduce your skin pigmentation ranging from laser treatments to natural remedies. Methods employed by dermatologists or licensed professionals will usually provide the best results but DIY home treatments are an option as well.
- Laser treatments. Lasers can target the areas with high concentrations of melanin and stimulate the body to eliminate the unsightly excessive pigment. The laser is designed to be absorbed by the cells containing large amounts of pigment while having no negative effects on normal skin. Two of the most popular options include IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) and laser skin resurfacing.
- Chemical Peels. Chemical peels use different ingredients to remove the upper most layer of skin and stimulate the growth of new cells below. There are many different types of chemical peels made with different ingredients, some popular ones include Salicylic Acid, Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid and others.
- Cosmetics. Many skin care products now offer formulas which assist with evening skin tone. Several ingredients have been found to be the most helpful including: Hydroquinone, Kojic Acid, Azelaic Acid, and Mandelic Acid.
Natural/ Home Remedy Methods
- Rub a slice of potato on your skin. Rubbing a slice of potato on your skin allows you to get rid of blemishes, pigmentation and dark spots.
- Apply a combination of lime and honey on your skin. Lemons are considered to be an excellent solution to all your skin care problems. They have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. When you combine them with organic honey, you can also make the most out of honey’s moisturizing properties. All you need to do is squeeze out some lemon juice, mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey and apply the mixture on your face once every day.
- Apply a combination of lime and turmeric powder on your skin. Mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with lemon juice and apply this to the problematic area of your skin. Leave it in place for about 15 minutes and then wash it with cold water. Make sure that you do this just before sleeping to get best results.
- Use some red onions. You can use red onions to deal with blemishes, freckles, dark spots and pigmentation as well. Slice up a red onion and rub it on the affected area. You can also squeeze out the onion juice and apply the juice directly. Let it sit on your skin for 10 minutes before washing with cold water.
- Use a cucumber mixture to beautify your skin. Cucumber juice works equally well with blemishes, pigmentation and freckles. All you need to do is take 1 tablespoon of cucumber juice and mix it with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it evenly on the infected area and wash it off after 10 minutes.
- Apply Aloe Vera on the infected area. Aloe Vera is extremely soothing and healing for your skin. It takes care of a number of skin problems and also treats your dark spots, blemishes and pigmented skin. All you need to do is apply some Aloe Vera gel 30 minutes before sleeping.
- Use a combination of yogurt, tomatoes and oatmeal on your skin. Tomatoes and yogurt are a natural bleach and yogurt is also considered to have skin tightening properties. Oatmeal works as a natural exfoliator. When you mix the three together, you have one of the best remedies for treating skin pigmentation.
- Vinegar. Vinegar is popular in skin care routines because of its astringent properties and the fact that it helps with skin lightening. All you need to do is mix some vinegar with water and wash your face with it on a regular basis.
- Avocados. Avocado fruit is an excellent way of getting rid of pigmentation. All you need to do is mash the fruit and apply the paste on the problematic areas. Leave the paste for 15 minutes before washing it off. Remember, avocados can lead to allergic reactions among certain people. Don’t forget to test out the product on a small area of your skin before applying it all over.
- Use a mixture of bananas and guavas. Banana acts as a natural exfoliator and guava consists of lycopene. When mixed together, they transform into one of the best skin lightening products available. All you need to do is mash the guava and the banana together and apply the paste on the areas of your skin that need to be cared for. Leave the paste on for about 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water.